Lentil Soup (Dhal Sherva)
A lovely warming soup for a winter evening following the indulgences of Christmas and New Year.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion, garlic, chilli, turmeric and curry powder until the onion is translucent.
- Add the lentils and water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook until all the water is absorbed.
- Mash the lentils with the back of a wooden spoon until you have a smooth paste. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar and lemon juice. Reheat the soup, adding some warm water to thin if required.
- To provide extra texture and body to the soup, fold in plain boiled rice or boiled potatoes cut into cubes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.