A traditional Keralan side dish.
- Blend the yoghurt, water, salt and ½ tsp of turmeric and keep aside.
- Heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds till they start to splutter.
- Add the shallots, green chillies, red chilli, ginger, and curry leaves and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cumin and remaining ¼ tsp of turmeric, then fry for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and allow the pan to cool.
- Add the yoghurt mixture to the pan, return to a medium heat and season.
- Stir vigorously - do not boil!
- Season and serve with rice or breads.