Sambhar with baby onions
A satisfying South Indian lentil dish with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
The baby onions bring a gentle sweetness to this tangy dhal. The perfect dish for colder months.
- Empty sachet 1 (lentils) into a pan with the water, tomatoes, baby onions and green beans.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
- Add sachet 2 (powders), adjust water if the mixture is too thick and simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a frying pan, fry sachet 3 (whole spices) in the oil until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add the desiccated coconut until it is lightly browned.
- Pour this mixture over the lentils and vegetables.
- Add tamarind puree or lemon juice, season well with salt and serve.