A famous peppery lentil broth from Southern India.
- Break the tamarind into pieces and soak in boiling water for 10 - 15 minutes before straining it to remove the seeds and skin. Keep aside.
- Dry roast and grind the peppercorns, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and dry chilli. Keep aside.
- Place the dal, water, turmeric and oil in a heavy pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer until the dal is mushy.
- Pass through a sieve and add more hot water if needed. The consistency should be slightly thinner than tomato juice.
- Add the tamarind, ground spices and garlic before bringing the mixture back to the boil and simmering for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Adjust flavour with lemon juice as necessary. Garnish with coriander leaves.