North Indian Style Dhal
A hearty and warming variation on our Tarka Dhal recipe.
- In a pan with a tight fitting lid, fry the onion in 2 tbsp of oil for 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger and the spices sachet from the Tarka Dhal Pack, then fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the garam masala and cinnamon, then the turmeric sachet and lentils from the Tarka Dhal Pack.
- Mix well, add the water, cover and cook for 40 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Coarsely mash the lentils with a wooden spoon and reconstitute with boiling water (should be fairly thick).
- Fry the garlic with the remaining oil until brown, then pour this over the lentils.
- Season and serve immediately.