Goan Brinjal Pickle (Aubergine)
This is a very popular condiment in Goa, and a firm favourite of the Spicebox team.
"This pickle is quite labour intensive, but the results are really well worth it. Once you have tried it you will easily be able to experiment with different ingredients". - Lee
- Layer the aubergine in a large dish with the salt. Let this stand for 4 - 5 hours.
- Squeeze handfuls of the aubergine till the excess water is removed, and keep aside.
- Heat the mustard oil (you can substitute with vegetable oil if desired) in a large pan till almost smoking.
- Fry the aubergine in batches for 3 - 4 minutes or until slightly golden. Drain with a slotted spoon and keep aside. Wait for the water to evaporate from the oil in between batches.
- Add the ginger and garlic paste to the same oil and fry for 5 minutes, then add the dry spices and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the vinegar and the tamarind and mix for 1 minute.
- Add the curry leaves and the sugar and mix well.
- Add the cooked aubergine and cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Cool and bottle in sterilised jars.