A simple coconut chutney to serve with dosas.
- Toast the chana dal in a dry pan until golden.
- Grind the chana dal until fine and powdery.
- Add the ginger and chilli with a touch of water and grind to a paste.
- Add the coconut, lemon juice, salt and yoghurt with some warm water and continue to grind to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a pan until hot, then add the mustard seeds and curry leaves. Cook until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Pour the spices over the coconut, and mix together.
This chutney will keep for a few days in the fridge. When serving it may need loosening with a touch of water or yoghurt, as the coconut will continue to soak up the moisture.